My fourth grade students had a Skype talk with Prof. Juan Carlos Castro
's pre-service art educators in Montreal, Canada studying at Concordia University. They gave a presentation on how they have used technology in art throughout their years at Dryden. Each student presented one slide and glowed in the polite applause of their audience in Canada (that was so sweet.) Then they lined up to answer questions and later ask questions. We all learned so much!
The students had written what they wanted to say for each slide and read it at the computer. What a great experience for our students. How often do you get to practice public speaking to an international audience in 4th grade? Immediately below is the transcript and below that is the slideshow.
| |Things We Learned about Canada
- They use the metric system
- Montreal's weather is like ours and their summers can get very hot too
- They speak French and English. Some people speak "Fringlish"
- They eat pizza (but not our great thick crust Chicago style pizza)
- They don't have middle schools. Students go from primary to high school (up to grade 11). Students go to college for 2 yrs then attend University.
- Elementary art is very rare. Most Canadian art teachers will teach High School art
- They say "eh" a lot but didn't have strong accents
- The population of all of Canada is around 35million which is less than the population of California.
| |What I learned from my students
- They enjoy technology but not necessarily more than "hands on" art
- They learn some of their tech skills in the art room first and it makes problem-solving in their classrooms and at home easier.
- For example: Nicolette emailed her art to turn it in to me. Then realized she could email her classroom teacher her homework assignment when she missed school. Alya says she learned to draw on the iPad and now she does it at home and uploads it to Artsonia through the Artsonia App. Lidia says that using the interactive whiteboard in art class helped her when she was somewhere else and had to use one. Klaudia said that she used Animationish in art first then knew it already for her science class project.