The first week of art classes is all about going through the rules, emergency procedures, classroom expectations, and such. I made a movie that explains all these things in very concrete terms with visuals, text, and voice over. I show this movie to all classes followed by an interactive quiz made in mimio studio on the interactive board to check for understanding. Here is what the quiz looks like: (but wait, there's more...)
A few years back I started adding some "commercials" to my first day that help set expectations for the classroom from day one. They are all really quick and hopefully entertaining so please take a peek below.
1. The Pencil Exchange: This video solves that problem of the disruptive use of electric pencil sharpeners during instruction. It's nice to review this in less than a minute and watch it work all year long.
2. Push up Your Sleeves: This Fugleflick video shows how to properly enter the art room. We watch for the 5 things students should do. See if you can figure it out too.
3. Our Online Digital Art Gallery: Part of being an Artsonia school is setting up the culture for participation. I love showing this student made commercial to help excite the students about our online digital art gallery on Artsonia.
4. Digital Portfolio: At Dryden, each student has an online digital art gallery and a folder on my harddrive. This folder is a working digital portfolio. This collection of artwork, snapshots, student videos, etc is burned at the end of fifth grade and will contain their work for the tenure of their time with me. Since it is happening behind the scenes I share this video every year to remind them.
5. Don't Crush My Dreams: Showing respect to the artwork hanging in the hallways is always on my mind. But, did you know it was also on the minds of the artwork too? This had a big impact on my littlest students. They felt great sympathy for the artwork after viewing this video.
Sign up for my newsletter
Visit My TpT Store
We are the 2nd place winner of the ISTE Technology in Action Video Contest.
See my post for more info.
View our Entry for the What's Your Story
Internet Safety Contest
(Won the 2nd Place Prize)
View this musical tribute to the hard working teachers at Dryden and the students they love to teach.
Tricia Fuglestad, NBCT,
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.